[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 07:12:44 -0700 (PDT)
Moose grunted:
> Keep telling yourself that and eventually it will be true.

I knew I'd get a rise out of you on that comment. :)

> The 1D III is simply not the same type of camera, with a smaller
> sensor and bigger, more expensive body that excel at high frame
> rate uses.

The 1D3 will definitely be the cat's meow until fall when the 6D and
1DsM3 are introduced.  At that point we'll hear howls of protest on
how out-of-date the 1D3 is...  Seriously, the 1D3 is a very tempting
camera for those of us who shoot events involving people and
movement.  The size/weight is a non-issue as any decent DSLR with
battery-grip (including my E-1) is a whale.

> As to obsolete, your tongue must be firmly in cheek. The guy who
> continues to use and extol the advantages of the E-1 and A1...

Of course.  And I still shoot with an OM-2S and IS-3.  I might as
will be coating my own glass plates.

> Just because resolution and modest high iso noise performance
> is not an issue in your event work doesn't mean it isn't important
> to other people's work. Bob Whitmire, for example, has run right
> up against the E-1's technical limitations in his different mode
> of selling his images.

We all run up against the E-1's technical limitations.  I'd be a fool
to say that I never do.  But we have to keep things in perspective.
As my wife constantly reminds me:  "Do you WANT it or do you NEED
it?" And the real burner:  "How much additional money will that bring
in?"

> Oh bosh! You, of all people, know how important it is to match
> equipment to use and to test equipment throughly so you know what
> it can and can't do. Pixel peeping is one useful way to do that.

Very true, however, the vast majority of pixel-peepers have turned
buying equipment into a hobby.  They take pictures of their cats.
Pros used to run an EOS-1(x) body for a minimum of five years with
8-10 being the average turnover on that level of equipment.  Now,
they're replacing them every 12-18 months.  Are the pictures any
better?  Technically maybe, but the income doesn't support the
expenditure.

> How is it any different than shooting resolution test targets
> (which I know you have done) and viewing he results with a
> microscope or on highly enlarged prints? It's the same game of
> finding the limits.

Yes, but for what purpose? Self-gratification or a real-application?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com