[OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again

Subject: [OM] Re: 7-14mm or 5D - sorry to raise it again
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 00:43:00 +0800
On 5/9/07, Jeff Keller <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think it is important to look at the lenses you've been using.
>
> The E-System has a limited selection of lenses but they cover very nice
> ranges. 7-14 has little competiton if you need ultrawide.

I like wide angle and natural-light shooting.

The main reason I'm considering buying Canon, or giving up on digital
for now and just getting a Cosina/Voigtlander film rangefinder, is to
get good fast wides. If Oly had those, I'd buy it; the e-510 has
ervrything else I want.

The 16-35 f2.8 Canon L is roughly comparable to the 7-14 for
coverage and a stop faster. My guess is its also heavier and
more expensive. Certainly any full-frame Canon body is
expensive, and the 16-35 on a small-sensor body is less
interesting, no longer ultrawide.

But if the main thing you do is wide angle and natural light, that
extra stop plus the high ISO performance might be worth it.

Then there are the 24 and 35 F1.4 and half a dozen other F2.8
or better lenses between 14 mm and 35. As far as I know,
Olympus has nothing even vaguely comparable for digital,
though of course they did for film.

> The 11-22 is a
> very good lens which is probably wide enough to cover everything for me but
> my real estate photography. The 11-22 is what motivated me to buy my E1 I'm
> very happy with it.

That's what I'm likely to buy, given price and weight considerations.
But it is not very fast.

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China