[OM] Re: What's a P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's a P1?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:13:41 +1000
Steven's not a fan of IS as i remember - he considers that the IS
versions of Canon lenses don't give results as sharp for openers. I
bought the non-IS version of the 70-200mm on that basis and haven't
been disappointed. I'd rather use a lightweight monopod and save my
arms as well.
IS is pretty pointless if the subject is moving fast and may even
slow things down as the lens gyros struggle to keep up. Indeed, it
may be wise to switch off AF as well and focus on where the car is
going to be on the next time around. This avoids any delay. Some
lenses really don't like IS if they are on a support - monopod,
tripod or wall - and some even switch it off automatically if the
tripod mount is used. The IS mechanism seems to 'fight' the restraint
and while the IS, AF and support are arguing with each other, you
lose the shot.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx