[OM] Re: What's a P1?

Subject: [OM] Re: What's a P1?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 23:13:29 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> You may be right, but in the few examples where focal and aperture
> range were the same, I found the newer lenses also had more elements
> and focus motors added for the first time as well as the VR. So it is
> hard to tell what is contributing size and weight exactly. So
> choosing the lens without the VR because of weight may be rejecting a
> much improved lens.

I was making a different comparison. I am very happy with my Tamron
28-300 Di. It produces excellent images, but it would be nice to have
IS. The Canon 28-300 IS weighs FOUR times as much and is considerably
larger (and costs a LOT). A tiny bit faster at the long end and slower
as the wide end. You can also see why I am considering the 100-400,
lighter and cheaper than the 28-300.

Lens           Tamron XR Di   Canon L    Canon L
Speed            f3.5-6.3   f3.5-5.6    4.5-5.6
Focal Len.        28-300     28-300     100-400
Length Min           3.3        7.2        7.4
       Max           6.5        7.2        7.4
Diameter             2.9        3.6        3.6
Weight               420      1,670      1,361
Lbs                    0          3          3
& Ozs                 15         11          0

Moose