[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:47:36 -0500
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:56:20 -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:

> In fact, under NAFTA, the Mexican government is
>powerless to reduce the harmful impact to local farmers of cheap US
>grain, which I continue to assert is directly the result of cheap US
>energy.

I attended a meeting with my congresswoman and several commodity group
representatives today. The rep from the National Corn Grower's Association
pointed out that when corn prices are cheap,
we get blamed for starving African corn farmers by flooding the market with
cheap corn. When corn prices are high, we're starving Mexicans by increasing
the cost of tortillas. We can't win.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company