[OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [ot] alternative fuels
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:56:48 -0500
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 07:32:59 -0700 (PDT), Stephen Walker wrote:

>I pretty much agree with Barry, but just to add my two cents as someone
>reasonably well connected to agriculture including ethanol production:
>Everyone should remember that ethanol production
requires low grain prices to be anywhere near economically competitive to
petroleum.

>Right now the Gov't is pushing ethanol production but someday they will
>realize that we can plant the whole country in corn and still not produce
>enough ethanol to wean us from oil.

That's why there's also ongoing research into ethanol from other sources, like
cellulosic ethanol. I may someday be able to cut my cotton stalks or use gin
trash to make ethanol.

No one sees ethanol as the single solution to all of our energy woes. But it is
a part of the solution. And it strikes me as counter-productive to see the most
vocal critics of our current energy sources
fighting something that could not only relieve our oil dependence directly, but
lay the groundwork for ethanol and diesel from other sources as well.

BB

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company