[OM] Re: Olympus Studio

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Studio
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:03:50 -0700
Roger,

The first question I will ask is do you shoot RAW? If you don't then I doubt
you will even need to consider Studio or Viewer over Master. Master does RAW
too but as I see it Master is the friendlier organizational tool. Also if
you just shoot JPG and already have a filing system then even Master may be
an unnecessary tool for you. All three of the Olympus programs are just the
first step in managing images and for minor tweaks. Anything needing work is
going into an image editor program regardless of how you filed it.

As far as I can see other than the tethered operation Studio is only
marginally better than Viewer. Viewer should have been the primary program
that you got with the E-1, the Studio disc is just a 30 day trial version. I
haven't used Studio enough to confirm the performance boost that AG sees in
it but will be upgrading to it this summer as I need the tethered feature.
In my experience Viewer is a great program in v1.5 though it's a power hog
when batch processing. I have used Master briefly because of the school has
E-300's and found it snappy to use for RAW as well as filing. The time line
based browser in Master is probably better for organizing domestic/trip
stuff more than the project based organization that Viewer and Studio lean
towards (as much as you can call creating folders and calling it 'project'
based but it works for me).

I would suggest you look at Viewer and see if it brings anything to the
party for you, but if Master is working for you keep on using it. Oh and
don't forget to update Viewer after you install it as the v1.5 is very
different from v1.0 when if comes to the RAW development window.

HTH, Dan S.