[OM] Foreground/background exposure, was: Olympus 50mm f1.2 or 55mm f1.2

Subject: [OM] Foreground/background exposure, was: Olympus 50mm f1.2 or 55mm f1.2 lenses bokeh?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:40:03 -0400
IMHO you've improved the girl but I think you'd have had a better
overall image by leaving the background brightness alone.  Seeing the
girl standout more brightly than an obviously brightly sunlit background
gives an artificial appearance.

I learned this lesson the hard way a number of years ago when taking
some formal family group photos.  It was the height of fall color and
the family chose a spot in a shaded area at the edge of a lake where the
trees at the far side of the lake were in brilliant late afternoon sun.
  Dr. Flash's advice on fill flash was erroneous and the subjects came
out slightly brighter than the background.  The eye tries to make sense
of that and the effect was to make the whole beautiful scene look like
it was shot in a studio with a fall photo as a backdrop.  Flat and
lifeless.  Ugh!  Post processing fixed it up a lot but it didn't really
look like it should have.

Chuck Norcutt