[OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:19:32 -0400
On 3/30/07, Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
SNIP!

>  As for how useful is it -- for interiors, great. For landscapes, it's
> a great way to take big mountains and make them look very small.. It's
> the lens with which I've taken the most photos that do essentially the
> opposite of what I was intending, if you see what I mean.
>
>  The secret is as always to put something in the foreground to fix
> that, and once I'd worked that out it works fine; or use it for
> deliberate distortion, of course.
>
>  I'm glad I own it, but I'm also glad I didn't pay very much for mine,
> given how much use it gets overall.

First of all, an excellent example of the use of foreground/background
effect.  I rarely use mine 'straight' either.  I try to get something
of interest in the foreground and use the DOF to maximum advantage.
Nice backyard BTW!   ;o)

Extreme WAs present a conundrum.  Really good ones are usually
expensive and most of us use them only rarely so they can be difficult
to justify.

OTOH, if you have your back to a wall and still need extra coverage,
nothing else will really work.  Well, stitching, but that's a
different discussion.

FWIW/ScottGee1