[OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:48:34 -0600
 > I've never used
> a 17 or 18mm superwide, so what does the extra 3-4mm of FL give you -
> both good and bad?

  I have a vivitar 17/3.5;

http://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./Rides/LakeMinnewanka&image=Beach.jpg

  for a sample (possibly that link'll need rejoining). It's sharp enough
to the corners that I'm happy with it optically, though I haven't
compared it to others.

  As for how useful is it -- for interiors, great. For landscapes, it's
a great way to take big mountains and make them look very small.. It's
the lens with which I've taken the most photos that do essentially the
opposite of what I was intending, if you see what I mean.

  The secret is as always to put something in the foreground to fix
that, and once I'd worked that out it works fine; or use it for
deliberate distortion, of course.

  I'm glad I own it, but I'm also glad I didn't pay very much for mine,
given how much use it gets overall.

  -- dan