[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:30:48 +1030
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:45:00PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
> Come up with some figures, and so will I.

Figures are great but they are just one metric of any issue, it has to
have some of the intuitive thought as well as some commonsense applied -
this is where _pure_ economics or _pure_ engineering fall down.
Hopefully the discipline can predict the consequences of a change.

As an example, my local council wants to block one end of my street,
because the statistics say there were 4 injury accidents there in the
last 2 years- yes, great, by all means, stop the prangs. Their
suggestion to do this was by making the drivers negotiate 2 extra left
turns past a primary (grammar) school & a roundabout!

They didn't seem to know the modification would also change the bus
route here, schoolkids & oldies  will now need to cross a very busy
arterial road to get to the bus service. Across a nice new 300mm  raised
median.

What was a small injury ratio vehicle-vehicle accident count, I expect
will become vehicle-pedestrian accidents with almost 100% injury ratio.

A further change made at a different intersection a little further down
(to handle the resultant increased load), as a result of the so-called
'sustainable traffic management' program has to add a bicycle lane to
the road. Again, marvellous. but they put it between the left turn
traffic (we drive on the left) and the main flow.  HELLO!!!! What ARE
these people on?

A little commonsense would have gone a long way.

davidt