[OM] Re: Evaporating Kodak Film Lines

Subject: [OM] Re: Evaporating Kodak Film Lines
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:43:14 -0500
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Don't you remember that awful photographic film from 3M? Grain so
> grand it became subject of the pictures.

Heh. 3M sold off the film line as part of its Imation spinoff in
1996 (along with all the rest of the tapes and floppies and all).
The film is still available under the Solaris name and as several
private brands (well, however many there are left). I can't say as
the film has improved a lot since I took a pass on it back in the day.

The ironic thing is that now 3M has come so far with
microreplication technologies that a photographic film produced that
way might have some truly interesting properties.

Steve