[OM] Re: Grain in a grainless world

Subject: [OM] Re: Grain in a grainless world
From: "James Howe" <jhoweaa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:55:14 -0400
On 3/20/07, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bill Pearce wrote:
> > My god, man,what are you saying? Someone would actually try to GET
> > grain in their photos? [...]
>
> I've pondered this many times.  There are those in our ranks who
> strive for the total transparant look--attaining "reality", whatever
> that is.  Granted, there are times when I have to do that too.  But
> not all pictures need to be "perfect" representations of reality. [...]

I've found that I prefer a little bit of grain in my digital b&w shots in
many cases, although I'm reluctant to add it.  I typically don't like grain
in my color shots, unless there is some artistic reason to have it.  Grain
can give b&w some needed character.  I don't care for noise, however, unless
is it as such an extreme level that you can tell that it was intended to be
there.

--
James Howe