[OM] Re: Evaporating Kodak Film Lines

Subject: [OM] Re: Evaporating Kodak Film Lines
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:26:17 -0700
It is the making of film that is the problem. It has developed into a
very high tech capital intensive industrial mass production. I don't
think film will go away, but it may be made by smaller and smaller
companies that sell world wide on the internet and I wonder  what
size industrial plant is it that is needed to produce film comparable
in quality and variety to what has been available most recently.
People used to work on their own and coat their own glass plates, but
I doubt you could do that with complex layered color emulsions.

Interesting that with the shrinkage of film manufacturing there is a
little boomlet in daguerrotypes. They are even manufacturing
equipment for sale that you do not have to build yourself.

http://www.blackshadowyachts.com/centurydarkroom.html

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA