[OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
Dr. Flash wrote:
> One concern I have is how robust these things are after the mod.
> As it is now I just toss the several transmitters and receivers
> into a small, zippered cloth bag.  5-6" of 14 guage copper wire
> sticking straight out of the top will put a small crimp in that
> action.

That is a very valid concern.  I'm going to stick a little bit of
hot-glue around the hole to strain-relief it a little bit.

My #2 transmitter experienced a bit of trace-delamination.  The
recommended hole for the antenna appears to be just a hole so there
is way too little surface area for the soldered wire to anchor to.
This is definitely an issue as I managed to rip off about three mm of
trace when I tugged on the wire.

I'm going to retry this with a stranded wire from inside a microphone
cable.  I've got miles of that wire!  This will give me an improved
soldering point and will allow me to put a strain-relief inside the
case so you can't tug on the solder at all.  The floppy bit of wire
coming out the top won't have the range of a straight #14, but still
should be quite useful.  If I want it to stick straight up or do a
coil pattern, I can always feed it through a swizzle straw.  By
heating the swizzle straw over a candle you can bend and shape them
too.

I will experiment with 1/4 wave antenna lengths. Unfortunately, the
length gets very specific in the smaller sizes and not nearly as
forgiving as a 1/2 wave antenna.

Another thought I have is to install a small connector on the case
which would allow me to plug in an external antenna.

So, at this point, my plan of attack is to:

1. Try a floppy 1/2 wave using small-guage stranded wire.
2. Compare range with the 1/2 wave straightened out in a straw
3. Twist Straw into a coil using RF rules for spacing and diameter
4. Try a floppy 1/4 wave using small-guage stranded wire.
5. Compare range with the 1/4 wave straighted out in a straw
6. Twist Straw into a coil using RF rules for spacing and diameter
7. Optional - Install a connector for removable antenna.

I really have two primary uses for long range transmitters--remote
control of a camera, and remote triggering of flashes in a LARGE room
where my flashes are up to about 40 meters away.

I'll definitely keep one transmitter stock because it will pack
easier as you have indicated.

AG

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html