[OM] Re: Macro lighting.

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro lighting.
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:15:31 -0800
>> From: Rand E <rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Funny, my first question when I looked at it was "What is the color
>> temp
>> of the light ?"

>Yea, me too! But more importantly, white LEDs tend to have a "spikey"
>spectrum. The "colour temperature" attempts to reduce a complex
>spectrum to one figure -- which is only true of black body radiation.
>
>I'd be leery of LED lighting for anything that needs colour accuracy.
>Can you say "metamerism?"

I've got 3 different brands of Led flashlights.

According to my Minolta color meter:

The plug-in LED to replace the normal bulb in my mini-mag: 6000K
The "high beam" of my black diamond head lamp: 6500k
My 4 LED Dorcey (mini-mag size):  6500K

Note that those readings are the "best" I could get in terms of getting near to
5500K.  Slight off access shining of the light onto the sensor would cause
radical shifts in the reading, although the 4 led Dorcy was not as bad in this
regard as the other two.  A herd of LEDs in a ringlight might not produce that
problem.

I didn't know about the spikey spectrum of LEDs.

Jay