[OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning

Subject: [OM] Re: Stop grousing, start grinning
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:23:49 -0700

> I took the radios outdoors tonight along with a vivitar flash and a
> tripod.  With the receiver laying on the ground the effective range
> was no more than 15 meters with reliability dropping at 10 meters.
> With the receivers hanging freely from the tripod the range went to
> about 25 meters. with reliability dropping at 20 meters.  One
> receiver was definitely better than the rest and I could squeek out
> about 40 meters of distance.
I had the feeling with with my receivers (I have the 4 channel version) and
now I guess that is confirmed whatever the reason is.  When used with an
external hot shoe (http://tinyurl.com/yt57lp) and plug it into the receiver
unit the range seemed to improve (connecting cord works as an antenna?).   I
have not done any formal tests on this though, it is just a feeling I got
while playing around with them.

> All three transmitters were strongest on the righthand side and then
> the left side.  Straight ahead was about the worse.
I had not noticed this, but when I think about it I have always turned them
"sideways" towards me on the tripod where the flash is.

> I'm not really expecting much from these things.  If I can get one
> season of use out of them, they'll exceed my expectations.  I
> definitely will be hacking one apart and adding a supplemental
> antenna to it.  Hmm. Might yet tonight.
Please share you experience with you.  I have not done any "screening" or
"antenna" mod yet, I would probably add 2xAAA batteryholder to them first.