[OM] Re: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Panny sensors?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
AND FURTHERMORE!

You really do want the sensor itself to be able to do the A-D
conversion to as close to the final product as possible.  Any further
processing (either on-chip, in-camera, or in post-production) is
"Bit-Bending".  Although I can bit-bend the image to look the way I
want, it has been compromised.

Let's say that the sensor has the response curve of the color yellow
of a pile of poop.  I can straighten that out and make my yellows
yellow, but at what cost?  Will it stair-step between zones V and
VII?  How much dithering do I have to add in to prevent solarization?
 YOU might not be adding the dithering in your post-processing, but I
can guarantee you that the in-camera processing is!

RAW conversion is NOT the cure-all for our ills.  If the sensor data
itself is garbage, we can cover it up and make it smell pretty, but
you still don't want to eat it for lunch.

AG

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/