[OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Curves [WAS]: Panny sensors?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:35:01 -0700 (PDT)
Moose wrote:
> Is this any help
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200/page22.asp>?

It's a start, but that comes from an independant tester.  This is
more like what I want to see:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4040/e4040US.pdf

Look at page 8.  This is the kind of data that some of us expect to
see and know how to interpret.

Kodak does give some of this information for its chips.  for example:

http://www.kodak.com/ezpres/business/ccd/global/plugins/acrobat/en/datasheet/fullframe/KAF-8300LongSpec.pdf

This is the 8MP sensor used in the E-300 and E-500.  Look at page 14.
This is just the sensor alone with no IR filter and support chips.
Better, but no cigar.  What is the response at different brightness
units?  Is the response linear per color or curved?  Are their dips
in the response curves and where are they?

We photographers have been accepting schlock because it's "better".
How do we really know that it's better?  We surely thought the 1D2MII
was the cat's meow until a comparison to the 5D was made.  Without a
common reference point and published response characterists, we're
just stabbing in the dark.

AG

Need Mail bonding?