[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:31:28 +1030
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:53:46PM +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Do know about 'stralia. In this state (Victoria) electricity is
> generated by burning brown coal which is about as bad as it can get.

Mostly natural gas in SA, though at peak times we siphon some of your
brown stuff via the interconnector!

> I started to convert some while ago -

I for one can't stand the things in practice. the warm-tone ones are
better, but it seems (& this is a ridiculous statement, I know- I can't
explain it, it's illogical- but it's true!) that the light itself
doesn't behave the same - you get an incredibly bright spot near the
lamp & almost nothing in the corners of the room. The house down the
street uses them in their porch light, the lawn used to be noticeably
lit up, now there's just this feeble little blue spot on the wall!

> replacements are 2 years and running.
> I really like that.

I do use some 5W spiral ones, mainly where they might be left on as a
night-light (laundry, hall, dunny) as they are a surface batten & a
nuisance to change. none of them yet have lasted as long as the 15W
pilot lights I used to use (& can't get any more). I have ditched 4 dead
CFL's over the last two years, out of 8 purchased, 3 are now in use &
one spare in the cupboard. the (expensive) pilot lights were $2.20 a
pair. these things cost about $8/pair...  at these wattages I'm still a
long. LONG, way behind!

davidt