[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:14:32 -0700
> From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:57:16PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:
>>
>>> From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> It's like running VMware
>>> on a box on UNIX, then running a UNIX inside one of the virtual
>>> machines
>>> with another VMware and another UNIX inside that.
>>
>> Huh? I don't think we're talking about the same thing at all.
>
> Well, yes, you're right. the literal action of copy/paste  between
> Word
> & Openoffice or between PS & the Gimp isn't exactly the literal action
> of running recursive UNIXes inside recursive VMs...

I was referring to be able to run UNIX X-Windows applications in the
same environment that you use to run "popular" applications.

> It's like the current 'environmental' move of making it mandatory
> to use
> domestic CF lamps instead of filaments in Australia. Sure, we
> reduce our
> national carbon load,  (by about three nanopoofteenths of bugger-
> all)...

Don't know about 'Stralia, but in North America, lighting consumes
about 25% of all electric energy use. Cut that by 80% and I think the
savings are more like gigajoules, rather than nano-bugger-alls.

> Oftentimes they don't
> even last as long as a decent globe...

Hey, ain't my fault that you don't know the right Chinese manufacturer!

The ones in North America are commonly warranted for five or more
years. When I install one, I write the warranty expiration date on
the bulb base. I bought some of the first ones available, in 1994 or
so, and some of those are still going. I've taken a few early deaths
back to Home Depot, and they cheerfully replaced them without a
receipt. I've only had a few go out past warranty. The rest just keep
going.

I'm ashamed to admit that when we moved recently, we took all our
CFBs with us, replacing them with incandescent bulbs before we sold
the house. In our new house, they must have done the same thing, and
we got to see a few utility bills before unpacking our cache. Upon
replacing all the incandescent bulbs, our hydro bill (that's
electricity to those of you outside of Canada) went down by almost
$10 a month. So if you replace all your incandescents with CFBs,
they'll amortize at the rate of one to two bulbs a month, on a pure
cash-flow basis, without even considering their longer life.

:::: The next-to-the last time the world saw a one-party democracy
was Nazi Germany. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::