[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:30:59 +1030

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:57:16PM -0700, Jan Steinman wrote:

> > From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > It's like running VMware
> > on a box on UNIX, then running a UNIX inside one of the virtual
> > machines
> > with another VMware and another UNIX inside that.
>
> Huh? I don't think we're talking about the same thing at all.

Well, yes, you're right. the literal action of copy/paste  between Word
& Openoffice or between PS & the Gimp isn't exactly the literal action
of running recursive UNIXes inside recursive VMs or the literal action
of using a cheese grater on body parts. It's not exactly the same thing,
but it's just as silly, so why do it, apart from some sort of perverse,
& probably unhealthy, pleasure - not that I'm actually judging anybody,
I mean, this may be the one of the listed decision criteria... :)  In
this case, my intended analogy is in the level of pointlessness of doing
these things...

It's like the current 'environmental' move of making it mandatory to use
domestic CF lamps instead of filaments in Australia. Sure, we reduce our
national carbon load,  (by about three nanopoofteenths of bugger-all) & feel
all warm & fuzzy about it, but this will just increase some other
country's carbon load and concentrate all of the nasty, poisonous, heavy
metals & other chemicals used in the manufacture. Oftentimes they don't
even last as long as a decent globe, & all the nasty poisonous garbage
ends up in a landfill, or the atmosphere...

davidt