[OM] Re: OT Probably controversial

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Probably controversial
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:27:29 -0800
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> There is an organisation that offers to make you and/or your pets
> carbon neutral for a small donation.

I flew for the first time since 1999 over the Christmas holidays, and
in my guilt over what George Monbiot calls "love miles," did some
research on this.

I think, at best, it's ineffectual, and some are an outright scam.

True "carbon neutrality" is really huge. You can't really do it for a
"small donation." You might be able to offset the carbon from one
long flight that way, but not to reach neutrality.

In my more pessimistic moments, I don't think humans will reach
"carbon neutrality" until the last lump of coal is burned, at which
point (as Sir James Lovelock puts it), we'll all be huddled around
the poles, which will be the only inhabitable part left.

:::: The epoch of the fossil fuels can only be a transitory and
ephemeral event... which has exercised the most drastic influence
experienced by the human species during its entire biological
history. -- M. King Hubbert ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::