[OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Personal Robbery Survey, was Re: Bags
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:01:07 -0500
On Thu February 22 2007 1:13 pm, James N. McBride wrote:
> A person just needs to know where to not go. I used to have a lot of tests
> run at Columbia University in a chemical engineering lab that was on the
> edge of Harlem. Cars had to be parked in a fenced area as they would be
> stripped during the daylight hours if parked outside. We had two test
> sponsors mugged and badly beaten when they decided to go for a walk at noon
> hour. One of my guys was a tough old desert rat and he decided to walk to
> the hotel one day. A girl about 15 years old walked up and grabbed him by
> the balls. That old boy was scared half to death. There is plenty of crime
> in NYC. Those per-capita numbers can be deceiving.   /jmac

I been to to NYC quite a few time. The trips have never been for pleasure but
for work,  either driving a truck or to do an inventory. The problem I have
is that I have no faith that I can tell the difference between areas I can go
and areas I can't go. I can't tell the difference between  a project and a
condominium complex in NYC. I sort of relied upon the idea that if it looked
like they stole a ladder or truck to paint graffiti on buildings it wasn't a
good area. I always feel like I'm carrying a neon sign on my head that says
"hicks from the sticks".  I know that I want to go to NYC to do some of the
museums and such ( I can do it as a day trip I'm only 5 hours away) but I'm
much happier what I'm climbing the long grade out of stroudsburg Pa heading
west om I80.