[OM] OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]

Subject: [OM] OT: noisy macs [was: Re: LightRoom v.1 news]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:09:58 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> I actually called Apple to inquire how important it is to match
> drives in the Mac Pro, and was amazed to discover that the fellow on
> the phone, the one I got after pushing the correct number for Mac
> Pro, said he didn't think it mattered, but he wasn't really sure.

  There's a bunch of Macs at work, and the main problem with noise isn't
the drives, it's the fans. When you get an iMac going full steam
compiling software, the fans speed up until it's like there's a little
tornado on your desk -- even with the older towers sitting under the
desk, they can still be distracting.

  I guess that's the problem with the iMac form factor -- while it's
nice and compact and stuff, there's not the same amount of room spare to
put in quieter, slower, and thus bigger cooling fans like you can with
more generic PC towers.

  -- dan