[OM] Re: LightRoom v.1 news

Subject: [OM] Re: LightRoom v.1 news
From: Paul Shields <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:01:58 +0000
swisspace wrote:
> I have flipped back to retrialling aperture, but I have one big wish for
> it though, that you could rescan folders as in iview media pro.  I see
> lightroom being advertised for about 200USD (amazon) - if this is true
> then I will go the aperture route.
>
> Chris, how are you finding the imac - did you get the core2duo model and
> how does it compare to the macbook, I have been selling some of my old
> computer stuff but its only enough to fund an imac, not a mac pro. I
> don't know why I need an extra mac when the macbook seems fat enough but
> once the mind is set, the want doesn't go away.
>
> My budget for this year didn't get full approval, I listed 3 things, mac
> pro, canyon 5d, and surround DVD/recorder upgrade. I was told I could
> choose between the 5d and the macpro and the HIFI must wait until or TV
> blows up and then we renew it as a complete system.
>
> So I am saving for the 5D but I often wonder whether I should just buy
> the 11-22mm and sell some of my prime WA zuiko's  which would be much
> cheaper than getting a 5D.  But for some reason I feel compelled to
> stick with the old zuiks

I'm in the same boat. I really want to like Aperture but still haven't
got over the initial shock of the new and not sure if it will speed up
or improve my current workflow. It also doesn't work with E-400 RAW
files at the moment which is a pain (I read somewhere of a way to make
this work but lost the reference - if anyone knows I'd be grateful :)).

I also dabbled with the 5D last year, and ended up selling it on. I just
preferred the E-1 even though it couldn't get near the low-noise/high
ISO, detail, shallow DoF, speed of AF etc of the Canon. The
clackety-clack of the 5D and the dust (on sensor, and especially all
over the viewfinder - a common trait of the 5D) was an irritation. The
E-400 reminds me a lot of the 5D actually when viewing detail - that
extra 5mp compared to the E-1 does make a nice difference. If Canon do
an improved 5D with the irritating things fixed then I may be tempted
again in a year or so, but only if Olympus completely cock up on the E-x...

Paul