[OM] Re: The Boss has spoken: compact/robust solution required: P&S guru

Subject: [OM] Re: The Boss has spoken: compact/robust solution required: P&S gurus please help
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:10:27 -0800
USHER99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Will be going on partial Zuiko trip to Mallorca and riding trip in  Aragon.
> Must lug all the horse stuff and  Mike's last year's  Zuiko policy
> characterized by Marnie as "no child left behind" will have to  go.
> Have typically only used (hack, hack), " Koduck HQ" disposables in saddle
> bag or carried in zip lock bag.  We have been on 6 or so of these and have
> seen
> much stuff lost during gallops, etc. Worst case scenarios: one year it
> rained buckets all day.  We brought "rain gear" though not of the type for  9
> hours
> on horseback with a continuous deluge.  The only thing dry was my  cheapo
> cam. in the zip lock bag.  Rarely can get soaked as well  crossing streams or
> galloping across inlets (low tide).  I've floated  off a horse swimming
> before
> trying to keep my boots dry.   Realistically, being as Type A as I am, chance
> of
> losing the item I would  estimate in the 2% range per trip.
>
> Will typically have a nice OM kit (for both of us)  in the van  that meets us
> for lunch, though often wished to have better gear during the  day.
If you want film, compact and would be happy with a 35 mm fixed lens,
the previous suggestion of XA or Stylus Epic sounds good to me. Both
have fast, f2.8 lenses. The stylus isn't immersion proof, but is rain
proof. Check out the new double zip zip lock freezer bags for water
protection.

The OM solution, to my mind is an OMPC or OM-G(20) with 35-70/3.5-4.5.
An inexpensive double-digit OM body also provides back up for the other
OM equipment. Would require a bigger ziplock.  :-) If you like WA, the
Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5 is a decent lens and wider and cheaper than the
Oly. If you can't usually stop to fuss with the rangefinder and match
needle, the Epic AF/AE might be quite good.
> Saw that Oly has a shockproof, H20 proof Dig. Stylus, though seems  overkill
> (and
> expensive) for a limited application.
With a small digi P&S, shockproof and waterproof may not be such a big
deal. With a secure place to carry it on your body under your outer
garments and a couple of good ziplocks for anything really wet, an
ordinary one should do.
> I do have a  Nik*n Cool pix 3200 I
> obtained free (NIB).  I did not like a friends  that I had tried due to
> crummy VF and
> shutter lag and have not even opened  it.  It has a fair amount of linear
> distortion as well, though how it  compares to what I had been using is not
> clear.
What have you been using? If you like it and it wasn't too expensive,
worth much less now and outdated, think of the fun of replacing it if
things do go wrong.  ;-)   Looks like the Coolpix NIB should go for
about $50-80 on the 'Bay, to help contribute.
> Only very occasionally would  anything be made larger than 5X7 for these
> shots.  Film is fine too in  my book for this application.  Thanks in advance
> for
> any suggestions.
I do happen to have a nice combo of OM-20 and Tamron 28-70 that would be
quite reasonable. You already have the Adaptall2. ;-)

Have fun!

Moose