[OM] Re: Jammed OM-2s

Subject: [OM] Re: Jammed OM-2s
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:29:55 -0800
tOM Trottier wrote:

> The Alkaline batteries will work,
The biggest problem with alkalines, esp. for those not paying attention
to what's up, is that they drop voltage temporarily from heavy use, then
bounce back up. So one may make several shots, then have the mirror lock
up. By the time you have tried the battery test, which says they are
good, of course, and taken them out to wipe them off, it works again.
Then if you only take the occasional shot, it seems fine. Then at some
great spot, you shoot several shots and it locks up again - and the
cycle starts over.

All of this can easily lead the owner to conclude that they have an
intermittent failure in the battery circuit, leading to unnecessary
cleaning, opening up the bottom to check wires, etc. or an intermittent
failure in the brains, leading to a probably useful, but not strictly
necessary trip for a CLA.
> but the silver have a steadier voltage (more consistent exposure),
> last longer and fail more suddenly, avoiding misexposures that alkalines
> might cause when they
> come near to expiring.

They are very unlikely to cause mis-exposures, because the camera locks
up, rather than take the chance of running out of juice before the
exposure is complete. But they do cause entirely missed shots. :-)
> OM2, 3,4, silver batteries have the ID
> MS76,S-76,EPX-76,357,KS76,MS-76,SR44SW,SR44P,G-
> 13,SP76,303,357,76RS-76,L1154,SR44,G13,V76PX, or D357H

All true, and yet not all created equal. The EPX76 (and I think the
MS76) has a very poor discharge curve that looks a lot like an alkaline,
with voltage starting to drop very early and meandering donn after. The
king of the hill, the Eveready 357, is now a thing of the past, replaced
with a single 303/357 battery with the poorer discharge curve of the
303. The other great, the Sony SR-44W seems to be quite difficult to find.
> Alkaline batteries may start with L or end with A.

Moose