[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 05:34:11 +0000
A problem for colour profiling a monitor is that the 'light' isn't just
one-way (I know that most people probably think it is). Let me explain.
Let's say you do your colour profiling at night. The chances are you will be
illuminating the room with artificial light. So during the day, when [I
assume] the room is illuminated with daylight, your colour profile is, shall
we say, less suitable - unless you use heavy curtains or blinds over the
windows and put the artificial lights back on. But ven then there could be
problems. The human eye is an adaptive biological organ and it may (I don't
know for sure) adjust it's workings for the time of day/night due to
biological triggers - e.g. at night, maybe the eye prefers to use rods
rather than cones. With colour profiling, you have to first think about what
time of day and under what lighting conditions do you *usually* edit
photographs (or other activities where the lighting is important) and do the
*main* colour profiling under those conditions. You will likely want to do
other, alternate colour profiles for when you work at other times. A fixed
'routine' for editing pictures begins to sound like less hassle (and so it
should!). *Serious* gamers often have multiple colour profiles - matched to
time of day, lighting used and the game in question and some may habe 100s
of profiles (some games have facilities for colour profiling - and some may
even *make* you set a profile).
What would be nice I guess, is some software [in the OS itself] that would
automatically select an appropriate general/global colour profile you've
already set-up based on the time of day/night and which would allow you to
easily but temporarily over-ride it and set/select another colour profile
for a session.
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:43:23 -0600
>

> >I think you misspoke, Bill.  I would describe monitor calibration as
> > assuring that what you see on the screen is an accurate representation
> > of what the digital image is supposed to look like.
>Well, I did say it was an overgeneralization.
>
>I will sat that the monitor is the most important link in the chain. All
>the
>printer, scanner and other profiles are useless if you can't judge the
>color
>while editing. Each other link may provide something, but are useless
>without an accurate view. I'm convinced that the profiled monitor is at
>least 85% of the solution.
>
>I got an offer for $2 11x14's from Adorama some time ago. I scanned some
>film, and then used my profiled monitor to make adjustments. I sent the
>file
>to Adorama, and the results were identical to what was on the screen, as
>least as it had aged over the week it took to get them back. If my monitor
>was too light/dark, magenta, etc. I wouldn't stand a chance.
>
>Bill Pearce

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!