[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:11:53 -0500
I think you misspoke, Bill.  I would describe monitor calibration as
assuring that what you see on the screen is an accurate representation
of what the digital image is supposed to look like.  It has nothing to
do with the printer since calibrating the monitor does not in any way
alter the data that is sent to the printer.

If you also calibrate the printer using particular inks and paper
combinations the prints will also look like what you see on the
calibrated monitor when the correct profile is used with the matching
paper and ink... at least insofar as paper and ink can reproduce the
gamut.  Here the data actually sent to the printed page is altered but
it's due to the printer calibration and not the monitor calibration.
But if both have been calibrated they should look quite close.

Chuck Norcutt