[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:10:14 -0800
Bill Pearce wrote:
>> How critical is monitor calibration? Are all of those
>> calibration tools/gizmos that are sold to calibrate
>> the monitor worth looking into?
>>

> The very most important thing there is, if you plan on making prints. In
> general, there's no relationship between the colors you see on a screen and
> what come out on a print, unless you happen to be very lucky. Calibration
> means that what you see on the screen is what goes out to the printer, be it
> your own inkjet or at a lab.

The second thing is that without calibration, you have no idea what the
colors on others posted images may be nor will they have an accurate
idea of what you have worked hard to create.

There are, of course, many more people with uncalibrated monitors than
not, but many (most?) of those who post images here regularly use
calibrated monitors.There is seldom a direct link between their color
space and yours, going as they do via JPEGs and non-color aware
browsers. However, a color calibration aware app like PS will convert
the screen colors and color space into RGB properly, so that it will be
fairly accurate on any calibrated monitor.
> That is a necessary oversimplication for discussion, of course, as there are
> many complexities to color management, but monitor calibration is the first,
> and in my opinion most important step.

Agreed

Moose