[OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)

Subject: [OM] Re: Monitor (calibration)
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:43:23 -0600

>I think you misspoke, Bill.  I would describe monitor calibration as
> assuring that what you see on the screen is an accurate representation
> of what the digital image is supposed to look like.
Well, I did say it was an overgeneralization.

I will sat that the monitor is the most important link in the chain. All the
printer, scanner and other profiles are useless if you can't judge the color
while editing. Each other link may provide something, but are useless
without an accurate view. I'm convinced that the profiled monitor is at
least 85% of the solution.

I got an offer for $2 11x14's from Adorama some time ago. I scanned some
film, and then used my profiled monitor to make adjustments. I sent the file
to Adorama, and the results were identical to what was on the screen, as
least as it had aged over the week it took to get them back. If my monitor
was too light/dark, magenta, etc. I wouldn't stand a chance.

Bill Pearce