[OM] Re: Looking back and forward

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking back and forward
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:01:23 +0000
Extract from the opening to Canon's 'Understanding Digital Photography' book
- which somebody got me for Christmas.
Allan

   For over 150 years photgraphy has been a chemical process. Photographic
film conists of a layer of silver halide emulsion coated on a flexible base.
After the film has been exposed, it is immeresed in a developer to make the
latent image visible. Prints are made by projecting an image from the film
onto sensitized paper and then immersing the paper in chemical baths. Much
of this processing must take place in a dark room.
   Digital imaging does away with the need for film, chemicals and a dark
room. It brings photography into the electronic age. Images are captured
with arrays of photo sensors and are processed by computer sftware. Prints
are made by firing tiny jests of coloured at paper.
   But the real excitement of digital imaging lies in the way it integrates
with electronic systems. You can send images by phone lines to relatives and
friends on the other side of the world. You can display your images on the
internet for eveyone to view. You can import images into computer publishing
applications to illustrate newsletters, brochures or greeting cards.
   And this is only the start of digital photography. The future will bring
many more uses for the images you shoot with your digital camera.

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters