[OM] Re: Dazed and Confused-FL50 questions and E330 failure

Subject: [OM] Re: Dazed and Confused-FL50 questions and E330 failure
From: "Allan Mee" <bigalsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:19:13 +0000
Unfortunately I'm not able to help yu regarding your camera(s), but as for
Oly bashing - why would anyone? I've been (and still am) an OM user for 30
years and wish I could afford the new E400! I've kinda done Canon a
dis-service for years (based on hearsay and my silly predujice against
shutter priority film SLRs) - but now owning two Canons - the A1 and 300D, I
realise that one shouldn't knock a camera (or manufacturer) until you have
at least some hands-on experience with the camera. I've not used an Oly DSLR
- I assume any Oly DLSR would be probably as good (if not better) than my
300D. I have had a go with a friend's Fuji S3100/3500 (which I would not be
happy with) and a Nikon D50 in a shop (which was nice, but I do prefer my
300D). Even if, for some strange reason, I didn't like an Oly DSLR - I
wouldn't knock it until I'd used it and hence would be speaking from
experience. As regards problems, I don't know the cause of your camera
problem(s), but, ANY camera can develop problems - like any other
tool/machine/device. One, or even two, failed cameras doesn't necessarily
mean the manufacturer is amiss. Some ranges of cameras do have faults that
can maybe be levelled at the maunfacturers door. For example, I was worried
that my A1 might have the infamous Canon squeak - but it hasn't. My Minolta
9000 had a litte of the infamous Minolta LCD bleed - as did one 7000 body
(out of five 7000 bodies) - but given the age of these film SLRs, I wouldn't
decry Minolta much (the cameras will probably have been fine for 1,000s of
pictures - and still take great pictures - the 'bleed' doesn't affect the
prints).
Allan

PS No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large
number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly
inconvenienced. (And threw a party for them afterwards for being really cool
about it).

Disrupting the unnatural balance that you, as a conscious human being and a
confused mass of energy, have created.
-Disturb the mind -

>From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Dazed and Confused-FL50 questions and E330 failure
>Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:50:41 -0700
>

>Hi guys :-)
>
>       Coming out of read-only mode for a bit to see if anyone can (or wants
>to) help me.
>
>       First issue: E-330 is really really being naughty. I am pretty sure it
>needs to go in for service. I am hesitant to post this here, because I
>know many of you are not OLY DSLR users. This is not an open invitation
>to bash OLY, please, altho this would probably lend itself to a great
>opportunity...just want to tell you what it's doing to see if anyone has
>some insight before I send it off. It began with only the 50-200mm lens,
>and has since moved on to include the 40-150 and the 14-45. The only
>lens that the 330 doesn't have trouble with right now is my 35mm. Here's
>what happens: I can maybe fire off 2 or 3 shots then suddenly with no
>warning, everything is totally blown out beyond belief. Which can take
>me a while to realize, as I don't always look at the image after I've
>taken it, unless my lighting or point of focus changes or some such
>thing. So...I look at the image, see that it is beyond blown, look back
>at my settings, and then realize that there is no aperture setting
>whatsoever, just a series of dashes. EXIF on those images tells me they
>are shot at f1, not possible! At least, not with any lenses I own!! LOL
>Anyhow, if I'm using autofocus, obviously once the camera and lens
>aren't communicating, the shutter will not release, another way I know
>something is wrong. If I'm using manual focus, that's when it still
>allows me to take pictures, even tho they are wildly blown. So....is the
>problem the camera only? Do I send only it back? Or it and all those
>lenses? Is there something I can try first to troubleshoot the issues?
>Is this something anyone else has experienced? (Clarification for those
>who may remember...these issues are with the NEW E-330, not the OLD
>E-300 that is also still not working correctly.)
>
>       Second issue...I am not getting the lighting right with my FL50. It's
>driving me nuts. I don't understand much of what I find when I am
>surfing for answers, and the English manual is just awful....or I am
>very very unintelligent. Does anyone have online links to resources
>about the FL50? I am not finding anything useful yet. And all the things
>I do read seem so complicated....is there a way to uncomplicate external
>flash photography? I am just not-getting-it, and feeling very frustrated.
>
>       I have other questions and issues, but I think these two are enough for
>my poor brain to grasp today. :-)
>       TIA to those who reply, I appreciate any help you can give me! :-)
>       Have a great weekend,
>       Candace

>List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
>List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

It's Hotmail's 10th Birthday! Come and play Pass the Parcel
http://www.msnpasstheparcel.com