[OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units

Subject: [OM] Re: Using those old time (and cheap) flash units
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 17:33:09 -0500
Most photogs I see working events like wedding receptions are using a
single highly automated flash (you can't say TTL anymore) like the Canon
580EX or its Nikon equivalent.  They basically point and shoot and hope
the camera/flash gets it right.  In this case they can zoom with their
feet and the camera/flash will adjust accordingly but not always correctly.

I stay totally manual which allows me to use cheap old flash units.
Since I stay a fixed distance from the subject I know the exposure is
going to be correct.  Well, usually.  Sometimes I don't realize that
I've worked myself into a room light hot spot where the background light
is maybe f/8 instead of my f/5.6 ideal.  Then I'll get some overexposure
but it's usually recoverable from the raw file.

Chuck Norcutt