[OM] Re: E-400 on dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 on dpreview
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:20:48 -0500
Scaling engines will get you there too.
Sometimes.........

.  I've sure seen some outstanding
> double-truck images that have come from 6MP (and less) cameras.
> According to the math, a double-truck with bleed needs far more
> than 6MP.  I'm not saying that extra pixels doesn't hurt,
> though.
Once a week, I read from Sports Illustrated on a subcarrier service for the
blind, so I get to see every issue of a magazine that I would otherwise
ignore. I assume (and we all know what our sixth grade teachers said about
that) that about 100% of the photos are digital. i've seen some of the
nastiest double trucks since they went digital that I've ever seen. Taken
from that limited sample, it would seem that digital goes to crap in a
really nasty way that film doesn't.

> Many printers have a 300 ppi pitch.  If you feed an image to it
> that comes in at say 284 ppi, it will "scale" the image on the
> fly.  Depending on the quality of the scaling engine, it may or
> may not visibly degrade the printed image quality.  I use a
> professional lab that has a scaling engine in the RIP which is
> far superior to anything I have in my own computer.
That's what seems to make the Durst printers so good. I'm convinced that
thnigs like RIP's are a lot more important than lasers vs. led's

Bill Pearce