[OM] Re: Feeling like a minority...

Subject: [OM] Re: Feeling like a minority...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:27:19 -0700
keith_w wrote:
> Paul Braun wrote:
>
>> Yeah...
>>
>> That's the one disappointment I have about my E-1.  Once in a while,
>> I'll shoot at a concert, and the lack of a usable ISO in the
>> neighborhood of 1000 or more really hurts.
>>

> That's the maim problem with my otherwise wonderful C-8080; my ISO range in
> Auto is only 50-400!
> That's *pitiful*!
> If Olympus' thinking is that the range of available shutter speeds makes up
> for it, they've got another think coming!
> That alone might coax me to switch to another body...
> I've got to look at the new E's, see what's up.

There seem to be two camps in prosumer and DSLR cameras, those who match
the grain of film with the noise of their digital imaging systems and
those who work to minimize noise without reference to film.

What I don't know is if this is a mind set thing with Oly, Panasonic,
etc., where they figured matching or beating film just a little was all
that users would want/expect, or whether they have been simply
technically unable to do better.

Oly is certainly not the only one with this problem. Take a look at the
review of the new Panasonic DMC-FZ50. Raves about lens, ergonomics, etc.
and a far poorer sensor system than the rest of the camera deserves
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/page19.asp>.
>> I've got a friend with a Nik*n - don't remember the number, but it's
>> newer - and he leaves his on ASA800 most of the time.  I can't do that.

Yep, C and N in DSLRs and Fuji in P&Ss are simply out there well ahead
of the pack. They simply take pics the others can't. Of course, as the
technology matures, all the survivors will start to come much closer
together. The question is, who will the survivors be??
>> If Olympus could figure that out, even with a chip upgrade, I'd gladly
>> send mine in for the swap.  I just can't handle the price of entry into
>> Pro Can*n Land.

You sure don't need to go pro. Even the entry level 350D is already way
better on noise that any E-thingie so far, and the 400D will probably be
better yet. And the N bodies are in the same ballpark. They still lag C,
but not by nearly as much as they exceed Oly in low noise at higher isos.

And short of pro, but still pricey, the 5D is simply astonishing at high
isos. I know I've posted this before, but this is iso 3200!!!
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/5D/Jellyfish/_MG_0194.htm> I
suspect the 30D is similar, but don't know for sure.

Moose