[OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:21:26 +0000
That's a tricky one, and I don't really know how to explain it. For me, it's
mostly a seat-of-the-pants thing deciding which is correct. Examples:

"Would any one of you turn out the lights, please?" Meaning only one person is
required for the task.

"Would anyone like coffee?" Meaning the whole herd may, or any number fewer.

And since you brought up "somebody," it would be, "That's some body on that
gal," but, "Somebody stole my umbrella." (If you said, "That's somebody on that
gal," then you might be watching something you shouldn't be.)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --