[OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:45:45 +0000
I seem to be procrastinating about finishing my car waxing, but I will offer
one more bit of authority on this subject. For reasons of clutter, I can't put
my hands immediately on my Chicago Manual of Style or my Strunk & White
Elements of Style, but I did manage to locate A Manual of Style, published by
the U.S. Government Printing Office, from which I will quote Section 8.11:

"In addition to illustrating possession, an apostrophe is used to indicate
contractions, the omission of figures or letters, and the coined plurals of
letters, figures, and symbols."

Thereafter it includes, among many other examples, these:

Btu's, OK's, MC'ing, ABC's, A's, 2 by 4's, P's and Q's.

In Section 8:13, it gives the example of yeses and noes; ifs, ands and buts;
ups and downs, but do's and don'ts.

To quote an oft-spoken line from Hee-Haw, I'm through playin' now.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --