[OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnum pro with Oly gear
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:36:42 +0200
There was an interesting series done on the bbc can't remember the name
but I think it was mentioned here before , where they gave three pro
photographers each a digital camera, one a phone, one a point and shoot
and one a pro level DSLR - they all took outstandingly good photographs
even with a phone camera and this was in the days when a million was a
lot of money ;-) so it's not all about having the latest and greatest.

For me I am happy to go against the tide and shoot with my old lenses on
obsolete bodies (film and digital) and  be happy when I get a good result.

from my point of view you can stop this "highly consumerist culture of
our times" where socks only last a few months instead years (sorry was
moaning to my wife about the holes in my socks this morning  :-) which
can only be bad for the environment with gains in quality of life I just
don't see any more. If  a camera makes it easier for me to take pictures
then so it does for everyone, which means being even more inventive to
make your shots stand out - hey mabe using film for that different look
and grain.

My pictures still look good (sometimes) from my cameras and if they
don't it's my blimming fault for doing something wrong not the camera's
like forgetting to flip the on switch on the E1 in anticipation of a
shot coming up or forgetting that I am using the 3ti which needs
everything setting manually.

Maybe we will all live in  houses with virtual walls  one day, but until
then my pictures have to compete for wall space with the boys school
projects so I don't see me ever needing mega huge prints, hence no need
to forlornly wait for the next E-x. I will however get a full frame dslr
next so I can use my wide angle lenses, but my wife says there is no
hurry for that :-)

and as a reward for reading my ramblings
the  pretty face of a  work colleague
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/93171732-M.jpg
unusual sunset - I think the colours match what I saw, but I had been
drinking
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/93171735-M.jpg
very unusual sunset  sky - not seen one quite like this before where the
whole sky was this colour
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/93171737-M.jpg

IanW