[OM] Re: EOS 400D

Subject: [OM] Re: EOS 400D
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 09:44:19 -0700
I'm very supportive of Olympus (they get my $) but I find I often disagree
with you Khen.

Olympus should learn from other designers!!! They don't have all of the best
solutions.

Why doesn't Olympus make their lens tripod adapters so they can be directly
clamped into an Arca Swiss quick release. Their 50-200 digital Zuiko doesn't
even have a flat edge on it that can be used by the quick release plate to
prevent rotation. It sure seems to be style over function!!! They should
look at a ReallyRightStuff catalog and realize other people often have
better ideas. The Olympus tripod adapter foot is purity of design? Perhaps
they've started hiring clothing designers!

The T32 is nice, but Olympus didn't carry on with that basic design when
they went to the FL-series flashes. The removable hot shoe shows plenty of
weakness in the long run. There are many OMs with corroded pentaprism
housings. An uncracked hot shoe 4 often sells for more than a T32. Having a
flash stand taller makes it easier to have big lenses on the front of the
camera. Wouldn't it have been a nice touch if the FL-50 flash reflector
tilted down like the T32?

Stroboframe provides a cheap very effective flash bracket. The bounce grip
is probably history that won't be repeated. Have you looked at some of the
Quantum flash equipment. How about a battery pack that fits on the bottom of
the camera, provides good tripod attachment, powers both the flash and the
camera. Why doesn't Quantum provide much support for Olympus cameras? Is it
really in the photographer's best interest to deviate so widely that 3rd
party vendors ignore you?

C*non seems to add "feature" on top of "feature" ultimately getting in the
way of basics. A swiss army knife may not be the best approach to
everything, but I do carry a swiss army knife daily.

Olympus also hesitated when setting the size of the E-1. They seemed to have
feared that it wouldn't be considered professional if it were too small. If
the OM had approached the marketplace with that attitude, there would
probably be a lot of people on this list that never would have bought OMs.

-jeff