[OM] Re: EOS 400D

Subject: [OM] Re: EOS 400D
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:43:19 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Interesting video from Canon on the preview showing the dust buster
> system. Interesting they use the shaking filter from Olympus and the
> software removal from Nikon in their package. The only thing original
> seems to be that the shaking filter is actually the low pass filter
> which, they say keeps the package thin and did not require an
> increase in the size of the camera.
Also might mean a much cheaper repair if the AA/dust filter is damaged,
as is is separate from the sensor package.

 A while ago, in some OT musings/drivel, I talked about working with
people one likes vs. those one doesn't particularly like, but respects.
I both liked and respected Oly for over 30 years of use of the OM system
and the XA. I still have a non-rational attachment and have been known
to pull over an OM body and play with it like Golum with the Ring.

But I sure have to respect Canon. Unlike some other, more insular
makers, as mentioned here recently, they have no problem seeing a
problem with their product, diving in to correct it and admitting it was
a problem by coming out with new product that fixes it. If they lead the
field, as with their sensors, great, if they are behind, they aren't too
proud to look around, study the matter and combine the best solutions in
a creative way, whether invented by someone else or not.

I say in a creative way because they implement things with effective use
in mind. Their dust vibrator shuts off at once when you press the
shutter - no 1.5 second delay before you can take a shot. And they run
it when the camera turns off too, so it is less significant when it
turns on again. And Oly couldn't be bothered to just do a firmware
update to the E-1 to do something similar.

What that says to me is C cares more about performance for the user than
about their pride. And O cares more about some kind of internal idea of
perfection than the actual, practical usability of their products. As a
buyer and user of these things, it's pretty hard to fault C and pretty
hard to understand O.
> Swipe at Olympus?

Do they care enough to bother? All the video says is that it meant they
didn't have to increase the body size from the 350D.

Moose