[OM] Re: Next E-x?

Subject: [OM] Re: Next E-x?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 04:33:00 +0800
On 30/08/06, Bill Pearce <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Khen,
> One of the strangest things about the Olympus DSLR's is the lack of
> IS/VR/whatever. Do you have any insight into this omission?

IS is well and alive at Olympus and in fact in the labs, it is available in
at least three different design prototype platforms. Olympus will release IS
extremely soon. Some of the technologies are now visible in 'diluted' form
in the new range of compact digitals that were announced for Photokina this
year.
At Olympus - and I do share the same viewpoint - we are constantly debating
over the necessity of IS from a true photographic sense because we have pro
users who tell us that they don't need them and one of them is a powerful
stalwart user, Mitsuaki Iwago who continues to handhold the Zuiko Digital
150/2 with absolutely no problems at all and his images are stunning to say
the least. The issue we are fighting against is that one should learn how to
handle camera+lens as most have been doing for decades prior to the digital
era.
Another very strong issue at Olympus is that IS draws power very badly
particularly for the in-lens design types and marginally less for CCD-shift
types. This is a very serious issue for Olympus because our DSLRs take into
account the serious notion of being capable in any situation and condition
no matter how hostile. A carryover from the OM days, a pro E-series DSLR
must be able to function in any situation and must be excellent in power
management and consumption. The IS is a prickly situation for us because we
aren't like the others when it comes to introducing features. We are not
market-driven as such but we are purpose-driven.

I consider it to be a potentially fatal competetive error, perhaps even more
> than the lack of the E-x.

IS will make its way with the brand new E-xx and very unlikely to be seen in
the E-3 or even the E-2. Olympus maintains a very pure stand on this issue.

Bill Pearce

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Khen Lim