[OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital cam

Subject: [OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 03:42:26 +0200
Le mercredi 23 Août 2006 01:40, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> Don't know why you should feel safer.  The fatality rate per
> vehicle/kilometer is about 16% higher in both countries than in the US.

You may want to update ; things are changing here (fr), last year we went
under the 5.000 fatalities mark (because of intense speeding repression :
automatic radars blossomed in two years, now you can't drive for more than 1
hour without seeing one). Driving has become so boring I even borrowed and
automatic Audi A3 2.0 TDI with cruise control to go on vacation this year
(something I couldn't imagine doing a couple of years ago) luckily it had
tiptronic shift gear paddles on the wheel and enough power to have a bit of
fun now and then :->

As to know wether we are more 'alert' drivers, I don't really know. In most
other countries I know, people tend to drive slower (and speed limits are
generally lower than here). But we have to take a pretty serious examination
before we're entitled to a full driving license, and you can't take that exam
without at least 20 hours of professional lessons (excluding family training
- while this does now exists, but the conditions are very tight, and still
the wannabe driver needs to validate a certain amount of practicing lessons
with a professionnal teacher, and a certain mileage in a given time).

The real danger is the growing phenomenon of drivers without a license because
it's becoming more and more difficult to have and keep one.

A mandatory old joke about driving in europe : red lights are imperative in
france, facultative in italy, decorative in greece.
--
Manuel Viet