[OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital cam

Subject: [OM] Re: OT car crashes & terrorism WAS Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:25:14 -0300

From: "Timpe, Jim" <

> A very dear friend of mine (retired fire department battalion chief for
> city of Kirkland, WA) is in Harbor View intensive care from a motorcycle
> accident of about two and a half weeks ago.  20-25 mph on a nasty curve
> up near Mt. Baker.  The curve was marked 25 MPH, but I believe I heard a
> family member say there have been 93 accidents at or near the same exact
> point in the past year alone.
>
> Still not certain he's going to make it.  Just a couple years older than
> me.
>
> Sort of quells any fleeting thoughts I may have about doing any
> motorized two wheeling.
>
> Doesn't even account for the other situations involving people just not
> seeing motorcyclists etc.

Thirteen days ago I had what was the hardest funeral I've been asked to do.
The son of a close friend was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was only
23. I had known Christopher since he was 7 years old, and he was the same
age as my son, Nicolas. Yes, had he been riding in an SUV rather than on a
crotch rocket, the 18-year old driving the the half-ton that pulled out in
front of him might have seen him coming, or Christopher at least might have
survived the crash. It was very hard to know what to say to the parents, his
only brother, his girl friend, and many friends in attendance. However, as I
said at the funeral, it was an accident and beyond our control, and it is
not immoral or wrong to drive a motorcycle.

In relation to what others are saying in this thread, I'd also add though,
that there is a huge difference, in my opinion, between an accident, and a
deliberate and planned act of terrorism which takes lives. There is a huge
difference between a too-sharp bend in the road or a higher-risk vehicle,
and a terrorist whose religion labels me an infidel and sees me as fair game
because I don't share his religious views.

I do think terrorism has to be addressed. And I do hate all of us constantly
losing freedoms. I guess it's a good thing I'm just a nobody and don't make
the decisions, because all this politically correct stuff would go out the
window pretty quick with me. I've seen enough of it at airports to make me
sick of it.

Wayne