[OM] Re: Winder questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Winder questions
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:52:38 -0700
>> I was doing some macro work with a winder 2 and a T28 that had the control
>> head
>> off camera via a TTL and T20 connector.  I had a flash mis-fire or two due
>> the TTL cable not being fully seated in the camera.  A number of shots
>> later as
>> I was shooting, no flash again.  The cable seemed to be firmly seated.  It
>> then
>> dawned on me that I had tried to shoot a couple of shots at the end of the
>> roll.
>> Does the camera (a 4T) and a Winder 2 figure out it's at the end of the
>> roll and
>> prevent the flash from firing?
>>
>Can't help you with this question, however, I'm wondering why you were
>shooting with the control head off camera in the first place? Just curious.

Well, if it's weird, I will try it.  And more the better if I can kludge it
cheaply.

Actually the story is in two parts.  1st, there is about a half inch between the
reversed cine lens (a 13 mm Wittnauer) and the subject, so I have to bring the
lighting it from the side, at a very shallow angle.  I have a small ball head
mounted to a piece of wood.  I put the T20 TTL connector on the ball head and
put the T1 control head on that.  The dual T28 (and I assume the single T28 as
well) has a mounting shoe on the section where the two cords are joined to the
control head.  I mount one of the flashes on that, and between the ball head and
the tilting capability of the T28, I am able to get the position I want.

The second reason to bring the control head off the camera is weight.  I have
this mounted on a copy stand and I am shooting down vertically.  This means the
camera, extension tube and lens are pulling down on the focusing rail.  It's the
adorama style focusing rail and it holds up quite well with all of this, but the
control head could be remote for weight purpose and needed to be remote if I
were to use the shoe mount portion.  So I hope the curious amongst you can rest.

Jay - Kludge master to the house I live in.