[OM] Re: Hyperfocal DOF [was - Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs]

Subject: [OM] Re: Hyperfocal DOF [was - Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:32:10 -0700
Christos Stavrou wrote:
> On 8/7/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  have since done icc color profiles of all the films used, so the
>> colors should be rather accurate. So of course, on the earliest shots, I
>> found the colors in late afternoon sunlight very warm, ok, and the skies
>> odd looking, not so ok. So I've been experimenting between the color as
>> shot and something more neutral. Fortunately, many of the images won't
>> require any such evaluation. This, for example, has very little color
>> anyway
>> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020428-29_22.htm>.
>>

> This latter one is an exceptional shot!..

Thanks! If you like that, there are more to come that you may like too.
In four days, we had all kinds of weather and light, rain, very low
clouds, snow, partly cloudy and bright sunshine, So much better than all
one kind of light.

Of course I shot all the big, famous features, but also tried to capture
some other parts of the area seldom or never seen in images. It was
spring after a huge snow winter, so the big falls well very full. But
there are also lots of small , nameless falls and seeps that are only
around for a short time in spring.
> Although, I have been clicking and rolling over it with the mouse and
> nothing happens.. just kidding ;-)
> It might be good in b&w but I think that kind of unique, subdued
> coloured light is a big plus.
>
> By the way, how do you make an icc color profile for a film, for
> example the fuji superia? This latter is not included in vewscan's
> presets and it keeps torturing me... (again and again!).. It seems to
> me that working with an accurate film profile is essential. For
> example, I tried to scan this one:
> http://www.christosgallery.fotopic.net/p31413650.html. When I realised
> that vewscan had its film profile included (I think it was a kodak
> gold plus) the colours came into place with such clarity and impact,
> like a day from a night, comparing with random other profiles that
> have been experimenting.

What you are referring to as profiles are something different. They were
a way to adjust for the different orange masks in different films. I"m
not sure why they are still there, as Ed quit doing new films long ago.
You can do that much for any film by scanning a clear area, tehn locking
the base color for the rest of the roll. That will not, however solve
lighting problems.

I believe only the Pro version will create color profiles. It is
explained in the Film Profiling with IT8 Targets page of the User's
Guide. The basic process is to photograph a standardized target, then
scan it. The difference between the expected color values and what comes
from the scanner are recorded in an icc color profile file.

You do need to understand how this works to use it effectively. If, for
example, you shoot an IT8 target in daylight and use the resulting
profile, images with that profile applied will reflect the lighting
under which they were shot. So a sunset shot, or an indoor shot in
incandescent light will be very warm, and not reflect the true colors of
the subject. If you also shoot one frame of an IT8 target under whatever
light you are using for each subject and create profiles from them, your
sunset, incandescent, fluorescent, etc. light shots will look like they
were shot in daylight, without the special characteristics of the
lighting. In fact, using this technique, there is no need to use
tungsten film.

The problem, as you can guess, is with any existing shots that were
taken under lighting circumstances you can't now reproduce. It's still
pretty easy to get good color balance in an editor if there is at least
one bit of neutral colored subject in the frame, white, black, gray,
whatever. In fact, at least in PS, and I assume in most other editors,
if you have just one of a group of frames shot in the same light that
has a nice neutral bit in it, you can correct all of them using the one
reference. Even if the color isn't exactly right, at least all of them
will then match.

Where possible, I've gone back and shot rolls of all the films I have
used before and included IT8 target shots, so I have icc profiles for
many of my favorite films of recent times. I even found an outdated, but
refrigerated roll, of one that was discontinued on sale.

I've posted this before, but it's still the best set of examples I've
seen of the difference between scanning with an icc profile and without.
No people in it, I'm afraid. Our favorite subjects are different
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/VuesProf/>.

Moose