[OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:43:06 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> To put an exclamation point on this, I'm finding that scanned
> Fujichrome Velvia (50 or 100) has about the same amount of
> "noise" as my E-1 at ISO 800.

I've been scanning some Portra 160NC, KR Gold 400 and Supra 800 the last
few days. It's really brought home to me how much grain these films have
compared to the noise of DSLRs. The Supra is a big improvement over
prior iso 800 films, but still not as clean as digital.

It makes a big difference in processing too. Selecting a large area of
color, like sky, is generally easy on a digital camera image. On a
scanned film image, the variations caused by the grain make it much
trickier. Clicking on a neutral color or black or white for color
balance is trickier too. What looks like a solid color is a bunch of
different colored grains clumps and between spaces.
> And the E-1 is considered BAD?????

Not compared to film. ;-)

Moose