[OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 07:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
BP wrote:
> and occasionally allows me to use it. I am, as a professional
> photographer of over 40 years, perfectly aware of what
> IS/VR/OIS can and cannot do. I consider it to be a
> requirement on some lenses, and something nice on
> others. On a 28-100, it falls into the latter catagory.

Amen, bro.  I'm not a fan of IS/VR/OIS when it's thrown into a
worthless aperture lens to make up for the fact that it's a
worthless aperture lens.  Clean High ISO sensors are needed when
you MUST shoot at ISO 1600 to make up for the fact the lens
isn't any brighter than F5.6 at the longer end. But when it's
added to an already useful lens, then it becomes not only a
necessity, but a major value-add.

Olympus has missed a major boat by not implementing image
stabilization of some form in the 4/3 mount. Not the first time
they've missed an important technological progression--remember
autofocus?

Is this enough to make me switch systems?  It hasn't yet.
However, it has prevented me from investing in any
non-stabilized lenses from Olympus.  Other than my 14-54, which
on the E-1 is arguably stable enough of a configuration to
adequately allow you to not need it, I'm not buying any new
lenses these days.

My A1 has shown me how useful stabilization is, but it has also
shown me how I'm able to achieve the same result with other
technologies.  I use a monopod much more as well as flash.
However, when I'm shooting equipment racks in the tight confines
of a telephone office, I usually can't use flash (reflected
light from the equipment spoils the shot) and I most definitely
cannot use a tripod. Most of the time, even a monopod will not
work. The live-view monitor (with grid-overlay turned on),
stearable AF point, and image-stabilization are the only things
that allow me to shoot racks as well as I'm able to do.

As a walkabout camera, the A1's image-stabilization has been an
outstanding asset. It has freed me from needing to use a tripod
or monopod to get outstanding sharpness. However, like any
situation where you are in physical contact with the camera,
accuracy is limited to within a heartbeat.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com