[OM] Re: Before responding to Larry

Subject: [OM] Re: Before responding to Larry
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 00:42:53 +0200
Le mardi 25 Juillet 2006 20:54, Barry B. Bean a écrit :
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:26:56 +0200, Manuel Viet wrote:
> >No. That's not technicaly correct. Thieves take away a possession. You
> > can't use it anymore once it's been stolen. Unlawful copies, on the other
> > hand, don't deprive the copyright holder of his property, because he can
> > still claim ownership, and act as a master.
>
> There's more than one type of thief. Ultimately, a thief is someone who
> takes something (anything) without permission or authority to do so. The
> simple version: If it isn't yours, don't take it. This isn't rocket
> science.

Exactly, this is law science, not rocket science ; because rocket science
lives in a realm of truth and false, while law science merely address right
and wrong, and there's no match between those groups, only partial overlaps
when you're lucky. Funny that on photo group you find so few people able to
see shades of grey instead of a black & white world. The type of reasoning
you're using is called "analogy", and is absolutely prohibited in criminal
trials, because it's the bed of all abuses. In fact, this reasoning has been
written once into a law, in nazi germany, 1935. No need to say that it's
absolutely forbidden under the UN Human Rights treaty to even think of
enforcing it again in a democracy.

> >That's why intellectual property is a State temporary privilege, it's not
> > like the property of a 'real' thing. In the copy process the owner still
> > has the use of the copied thing.
>
> Spoken like someone who never created anything in his life.

That, excuse me, but you don't know ; but as you raise the topic, what have
you exactly created on your own ? How much of it did you borrowed  from
someone's else work ? Be honest with yourself, your contribution (if there's
any at all) is certainly less than 10%. Did you write something ? How many
time did you use one of the 33 situations of comedy taught in writing
school ? Did you send money to greece for Æsop's heirs ? Or maybe you did
create a new graphic composition in picture (muahahah) ?

You know, I've been working in research at university, where I did create
things, with others ; but when you're a true scientist, the 2 most important
things you learn is that your contribution is just a step in a thousand miles
journey and that there's more for others to discover ahead than what's
behind. To believe the world owes you a reward is just infatuation.

--
Manuel Viet